Friday, December 29, 2006

Electrical System: Part 1 of 5- Front Light Branch
I will be honest. The electrical system is intimidating to me. Luckily, Hurricane provides a wiring harness from Haywire that is pretty much idiot proof. I am very impressed with the completeness of this wiring kit. Every single wire is labelled as to where it is to go. This label is printed on each wire casing about every 4 inches. How great is that?

There are 5 main electrical systems that I can figure out. These are front light branch, rear light and fuel branch, instruments, engine power branch and engine monitoring branch. All of these go into a fuse panel I will be putting under the dash.

For this installment, I will discuss the general prep and the front light branch. For general prep, I basically had to drill two holes through the firewall. This will allow three electrical branches to go out into the engine bay (front light, engine power and engine monitoring branches). Once I completed this, I do a rough layout of the wires to their respective places and place the main harness in the dash. I then proceeded to wire the first branch for the front lights. I have to say at this point that I was freezing my butt off. My garage is not heated and nor is it insulated. Wires don't like to bend when it's this cold. But I digress. I ran the front light branch down the driver side upper frame. I had to split some of the wires for the passenger side lights. I didn't want to mess around with wires coming apart so I soldered every split I made and covered in heat shrink. All the wires were secured in a loom and attached to the frame. click image below for larger view.























0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home