Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cockpit Insulation and Padding:
For this phase, I decided to go ahead and get the cockpit prepped for carpet. The carpet kit I bought is a very decent quality and came with nice thick underpadding. However, this 428 puts out a ton of heat so I decided to put down some BQuiet sound deadening and heat insulation barrier. The stuff is like a slab of tar with tin foil on top. Other brands like "hush mat" seem to do the same thing but this stuff was about half the price but looked similar. I am very happy with the application. It went very easy. I made sure to take some denatured alcohol and prepped the surfaces for the BQuiet product.

I knew I was only going to put BQuiet on the front firewall, floor and trans tunnel so I went ahead and installed the padding on the rear wheel arches and rear wall:


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I then added the BQuiet product to the trans tunnel, firewall and foot boxes to combat the heat of that might 428 FE Big Block Ford:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I completed the BQuiet application by finishing off the floors:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Now that the insulation was in, I continued with the padding. First I started with the trans tunnel. I had to take the trans carpet to make a reference mark for a step later. I then made the hole for the shifter:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Now it was time to cover the top of the trans tunnel with padding, taking care to leave a one-inch gap that was mentioned above:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The final steps were to finish the sidewalls in the footwells and to glue the padding to the floor carpet:


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Now the car is ready for the carpet to be installed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home